Sunday, August 22, 2010

Somewhere Over the Kaleidoscope?



Canon 30d
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f.3.5-5.6
Shutter Speed 2.5 Seconds
Aperture f/5.0
Focal Length 39.00mm
ISO 800
Natural Light

This is a photo I'm posting out of resignation. I didn't really have a clear aim other than I wanted to get something through a kaleidoscope. Actually, I didn't know I wanted to shoot through a kaleidoscope until I walked past one in Borders Saturday night. Long story short, I took MANY photos experimenting with different light set-ups and subjects and in the end, the best one was using the moon.

My camera was on a tripod and the kaleidoscope was held with a boom tripod. I used my remote shutter and probably should have tried a lower ISO setting but I was tired and I wanted to go to bed. 800 it is!

The biggest challenge I faced with this was the composition. How do you get enough of the kaleidoscope in the frame without obliterating the subject entirely? It was easy with the moon - it's a relatively small subject when shooting at 39mm. But trust me, it's not always this easy! And that was the source of my frustration with this particular idea. Lots and lots of pictures that just didn't do it for me.

Sere really got my gears turning with her post and her challenge. True to form, this isn't really what I had in mind. But I have a lot of fun shooting. Plus, I'm a little further down the road of learning all I can about photography. I'm sure I'll be pulling out the kaleidoscope again soon!

5 comments:

  1. Scott, my dear, I warned what would happen if you posted a picture of the moon. You have left me no choice.
    I'm sorry folks when you all check in tomorrow what you see may not be rated "G".
    Kidding (maybe) aside the photo is amazing, as usual. A spectacular capture. So inventive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nasa, Scott's in town...
    Intriguing indeed! You know it isn't a telescope yet it's purposefully viewing the moon. The earthy amber tones make you go antique for just a moment and the repeat circles pattern perk our interest like a where's waldo book. The hazy horned reflection make us look for clues on the eye piece of the kaleidoscope but give us NO satisfaction, it slips into just part of the pattern... Sneaky Scott!!! I love the focal point and again the opposite spectrum of colors seen here.
    It's way past my bed time and I've been dreaming up a hell of a shot... Does anyone have a real camera I can use??? Ha, Just kidding, I will overcome and be a better woman for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH Man I did it again, I posted a comment w/o using my profile... Sorry everyone !
    JAY'ME

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very awesome Scott! You have indeed the set the bar just a little bit higher for all. I love the perspective and anything with the moon is definately the coolest in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all. We're praying for you and your family Sere.

    ReplyDelete