Sunday, October 10, 2010

Urban Correspondant - guest photog

Brandi again. Sick of me?
It is such an honor to post today's Wordless Wednesday winner guest spot. The winner from this week is a dear friend of mine. I've been telling him he needed to make a guess so he could join in the fun here. I'm so glad he did.
I think Dan says it best so here he is....

Hi! I'm Dan Kopanke, a lifelong Chicagoan who is passionate about the history of this city and its people. One of my favorite memories from youth is standing in the hallway outside of the cafeteria in the Museum of Science and Industry and looking at the classic pictures from the city's newspapers. I was always intrigued by the stories behind the pictures. Lately, I've been combining stories about the food that I cook, the city, and my own personal journey through life on a blog called www.pilsenearth.blogspot.com . Check it out!

I was tempted to post a picture of the skyline taken from my terrace. The interplay of light and clouds against the dramatic buildings has made for some stunning photos. But I decided to play by the rules and use Amanda's picture as a guide for mine. The connection is "looking up". But looking up means something different in the city. This picture is of a building on Blue Island in Pilsen. What you see are the top three stories of a four story building. As is common in this area, the first story is retail. At the top of the picture you can see some of the decorative cornice and you will also note the stonework above the windows. Pilsen, a very large Hispanic community, was first settled by East Europeans in the 1800s and the buildings had features that reminded the people of their homeland. The chain on the right lower side is from some long gone hanging sign. I have no idea what the pipe coming out of the building on the left side is doing. It may have been some sort of hanger for a sign because you can see what looks like red paint running vertically in that general area.

From 3C1D's "Urban Correspondent", have fun shooting!


Technical Data:
Nikon D3000
Lens Nikkor VR 18-55 mm F/3.5-5.6G
Focal Length 45 mm
Aperture F/5.6
Shutter Speed 1/125s
ISO 125
No editing was done.


Scott's familiar face will be returning tomorrow. Can't wait to see what the extra time has given him to 'cook up'.

3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I love looking at architecture and your story made it so much more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the story Dan. And the colors are great. You can tell this is a building with a story. There's even some laundry hanging in one of the windows. Well done and thanks for contributing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo Dan! Taking a picture of a building and pulling it out of its surroundings gives one an opportunity to really notice and appreciate the architectual details.
    Hey followers of 3C1D for some interesting historic info and great recipes too I incourage you to check out his blog mentioned above.

    ReplyDelete