Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Take What You Get

Okay, so all this talk of reflection and I had to give one more take on it. This time I went completely abstract and experimental. And, as is so often the case, I'm posting something completely different than I originally intended - love this pursuit of ours! Here's my post:

Canon 30D
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Shutter 5 Seconds
Aperture f/5.0
ISO 800
Exposure Compensation -1 stop

The experiment is that I used a fish eye on a 100mm Macro lens. It was awful. I mean REALLY awful. All I got was a really close up and clear view at how the optics on the adapter just aren't that great. It literally became the subject. So much for that idea!

Then I noticed how cool the reflections off the front of the fish eye looked and set about trying to capture it. What followed went something like this: "Good God why didn't I buy a tripod yet!!!???" This was followed by "Good God why didn't I wear boots!!!???" And finally, "Good God I should have worn snow pants!!!" Instead I used body contortion, a leather protector, and came to terms with the fact that I was going to get wet. Oh well. My butt is starting to thaw out - I think I'll live.

You'll notice I underexposed a full stop. The purpose is to ensure the pin points of light remain pin points of light instead of a bloody mess of halos and bleed. If you haven't found the exposure compensation on your camera, find it now. It's a great friend.

In terms of post process, I sharpened a bit, fixed contrast, cropped in a little, and cooled the color temperature a touch. That's all I got for now folks. Now to knock the rest of the frost off my cheeks!

Happy Merry!

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment