Saturday, December 11, 2010

Tradition

Christmas is such an event these days. It has become a retail orgasm of sales and shopping, so much so that I think people forget sometimes to slow down, look around, and enjoy what Christmas really is. Whatever your persuasion on the Christian center that is Christmas, I think it's not going out on a limb to say that family and family traditions surrounding the holiday is one of the most fulfilling aspects of the season.

For me and my brood (Kristin and my two boys), traditions spring up when we least expect it. This year, Ethan has been immensely proud of his collection of 6 nutcracker ornaments (ironic since he's deathly allergic to tree nuts!). Every night he makes sure they are perched dutifully, protecting the base of his bedside lamp. When I mentioned that Grandpa has a fantastic collection of nutcrackers and that he might let Ethan borrow one, he was ecstatic. He went further and said that maybe Grampa would like to borrow one of his. A phone call later and tradition was born.

This is a picture of Grandpa's nutcracker. Ethan helped me set it up and I did my best not to appear in the shot. The ornament has the inscription "Friend to Friend." It was just too perfect. I used a long telephoto and a second tree to help obscure my presence. I was thwarted by my lack of tripod. I made due but I simply must get a new tripod. It's time. I got a shot I can live with, but I really want another go at it.


Canon 30D
Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 (pretty crappy lens really)
Shutter Spread 1/15
Aperture 5.0
ISO 400
Christmas Lighting only

So what traditions do you have that might be unique or surprising? I'd love to hear about them! Stay tuned for our guest photographer Myndi, the winner of the most recent WW challenge. Be safe this season and be sure to take the time to enjoy your traditions.

Basking in family tradition,

Scott

1 comment:

  1. I like how he's trapped in the reflection. He's all: "Hey what's up? I'm just here, you know... chillin'. Come on in! I've got vodka!"

    ReplyDelete