Monday, January 17, 2011

Machines It Is!

Happy Monday all! I hope by now you're all recovering from the holidays. I only say that because I thought I was on my way and then B dropped off a few Irish Car Bomb cupcakes and I've got to start all over with my recovery. Holy buckets are they good! Word to the wise, if Brandi says "can I bring over (fill-in-your-choice-of-baked-good)" just say YES! You will not regret it!

With that out of the way, I'd like to announce the winner from the most recent "Wordless Wednesday" comments. Congratulations to RJ Martin, who, if I'm not mistaken, is a first time commentor! Thanks for stopping by RJ. And drop us a line at 3chicks1dudephoto@gmail.com so we can fill you in on the details of posting.

As for my post, I dug into my archives again, but only because it fit so well. Furthermore, there is little to zero chance I'll get to shoot this magical place again. This is a photo of a privately owned, working steam engine, which is housed in an insulated sheet metal barn. Additionally, there is the most complete working European salon carousal in existence and several other amazing motors and engines. The best part is that this barn is not even the grandest location. The private home next to the barn houses perhaps the most amazing collection of automatic music machines ever assembled. And that still is not the best part! In this house, there is a room that houses the worlds largest stage pipe organ and seating for around 300 people. It's truly astounding. Click here for the website.

I could go on and on about this place. For example, in one room in the basement, Mr. Sanfilippo has a collection of nickelodeons. Once you put your nickel in you are treated to a 1920's version of a strip tease whilst cranking the arm on the side. You should have seen my mother, who was raised strict Catholic and taught by nuns, when she discovered the surprise. Simply priceless.

I had an absolute blast shooting photos of this place and it really was my first experience with digital. My dad allowed me the use of his Nikon D70 and away I went. So here's the photo I choose for today:

Nikon D70
Kit lens
Aperture f/5.0
Shutter 1/60
Pop-up flash used

One of the things I notice now is the difference in color temperature. Were I doing this again, I would use gels with the flash to minimize the difference. What I really like still to this day is the composition. You should have seen me laying down in black tie to shoot this - certainly something I would do again.

The connection is the machine thing but also the slant in composition. Thanks Mamalu for posting. I can't tell you how awesome it is having you all to share with. RJ, plan on next Sunday for your post and drop us a line for details. Have a great week everyone! I'm out!

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment