Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fall is Coming....

I wanted to get everybody into the fall colors mode with this picture. I love being in the midwest during the fall season, the colors are always so absolutely gorgeous! I know the east is supposed to have the "best" fall colors but I think I would have to argue with that :0).

Nikon D90
Lens 18-200mm at 48mm
Aperture f7.1
Shutter Speed 1/125 sec.
ISO 200
Natural Lighting

This was taken at Copper Falls State Park outside of Mellen, Wisconsin up near Lake Superior. The whole area is gorgeous with tons of waterfalls and rivers to peruse. The colors were at their prime while we were there and I have several other fall color shots taken from the area but this one ties in well with Scott's water shot from yesterday. Where he was HOT, we were on the COLD side although this day was gorgeous.

I was trying to figure out how to get the waterfall which was in shadows, along with the bright blue sky. As you can see I ended up blowing out the beautiful blue sky in order to get the water.

I hope this gets you all revved up for fall color. It does for me, so get those cameras out and start shooting!!! I can't wait to see what Jay'me comes up with for Friday Faces tomorrow. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Those colors are amazing. Would love to hear if anyone has some tips on taking a photo like this and not getting a blown sky. I've never accomplished it.
    All said though, it's the cold, crisp, bite of that water that draws me to the photo.
    So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my 2 cents. You need a graduated filter. Alternatively, do an exposure bracket and combine the images using layers in photoshop. You could also combine the images into an HDR image. I think I like the idea of a graduated filter best myself. Less time at the computer is always a good thing for me.

    Nice work Sere! Great fall colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! Were you standing in the water ? I love the fly fisherman's view up the river. Great contrast, color, and composition. The dark river rocks are an attention getter next to the reflected sky in the broken bits of h2o.
    Very nice job indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! No I wasn't standing in the water but we did walk off of the "path" and crawl down the side of a hill to get up close and personal to the waterfall haha. Enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh shucks I forgot to say thanks to Scott for his advice. So thanks Scott. I could try a graduated blue filter and see what that does.

    ReplyDelete