Saturday, February 26, 2011

Something Warm

For my post, I decided we needed something less cold and wintry (you know, I would have spelled "wintry" as "wintery." I just love spell check). The chicks really did some nice work! But ice was something I just wanted to move away from. Actually, Brandi's husband Scott (aka S1) suggested starting a fire and playing with that. I loved the idea! Whiskey ended up as the fire. You all are going to think I'm an alcoholic! First wine and beads, now Whiskey!


Canon 30D
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
ISO 400
Aperture f/6.3
Shutter 1/4
Exposure Compensation -2/3 stop
Incandescent light from 1 lamp.

Before you ask, yes I did drink the Whiskey after the shot. In fact, I'm drinking it right now! And I feel nice and warm. Mmmmmm....whiskey.

Moving on, this glass is called the Glencairn Glass, and it's specifically designed for whiskey tasting. Mine is a fancy version with Stanahan's etched in the side. If you are reading this and you like whiskey, give Stranahan's a try. It truly fantastic. Anyway, the idea with the glass is to concentrate the aroma and maximize the drinkers experience. It's made of crystal and I love it. I know, I'm weird. Since the day I bought it I've been trying to think of a way to photograph it. This works for now but I think I'll try again sometime.

My question to you all is what is something you've always wanted to photography but haven't gotten around to? My list includes The Grand Canyon, a Vermont autumn, a Pacific sunset, and Hawaii (as in all of it). There are many others on my list but this is a sample.

So stay warm everyone! Spring is coming, and hopefully another item on my list of things to photograph!

Scott

4 comments:

  1. We need to get together. I am a passionate bourbon whisky drinker... and you are absolutely right about the glass. Great shot. I loved the way you set up the foreground and background. The background blurred, but echoed clearly in the refraction of the whisky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the warmth of this shot. Not a whiskey drinker but this photo makes me want to be. Oh photography bucket list hmmmm. Vermont autumn would have to be on my list too. California redwood(how do you get the immensity of it?). Grand Canyon (not in the haze of summer, but crispness of spring I think) all fifty state sunsets. Oh and the first sunrise of the US (I think that is in Maine) and I have loads of other ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that the Eiffel Tower inverted in your glass? Very nice and warm indeed. If we look back at this weeks shots, they do flow nicely. The "Legs" of whiskey hanging on your glass resemble frozen drips from the cable. Each progression has unmentioned ties. Very nice week of work you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @BigDan - would love to get together! There aren't many whiskey aficionados near me and I'm always game to sample. @Sere - love your list. I've been to Cadillac Mountain and seen the first glimpse of the sun but it wasn't on New Years. Very cool place and yes, it's in Maine. Mt Desert Island. At least they say it's the first sunrise. There seems to be some dispute online. @J - that sure is the Eiffel Tower. We have a lamp that is the Eiffel Tower. Nice catch on the legs. I noticed but I was too tired to write about it.

    ReplyDelete